- Setting Up Default Accounts
- Setting Up Tax Codes and Clearing Accounts
- Setting Up Product Level Mapping
- Synchronization Settings
- Setting Up Purchase Orders
- Integration Functionality
- Migration Plan from Old Integration
If you have Z Reports that have not been exported, you will on be able to export a maximum of 30days prior, if you need to export reports further back then 30 days.
Please complete this on the OLD Integration before enabling the new integration.
Our new Accounting Integrations will provide a range of functionality for Kounta customers on all of our plans.
End of Day/Reconciliation Reports Exports: Sell, Manage & Extend customers
Account Sale Exports and Account Sale Payments: Manage & Extend customers
Purchase Order Exports: Manage & Extend customers
The Xero Accounting Integration allows customers to configure their Kounta to their Xero Accounting Program to integrate Reconciliation data and Account Sales between the two services. This guide will include an overview of the setup, functionality, and steps on migrating from your existing Xero Accounting Integration.
- A current and active Xero subscription (You can create a Xero Account here)
- You should already have your accounts created and setup in your Xero Accounting Program (the Xero Support Team will be able to help with this if you require assistance with creating these Accounts in your Xero program, you can do this by contacting them at email@example.com)
- A desktop PC or Mac is required to complete the setup and manage the integration (this is not supported on mobile device like iPhone, iPad & Android)
Linking Kounta to Xero
Note: Please note if your business name has the symbol '&' we recommend going into Back Office>My site>Site information and changing this to 'and'. This may cause errors in the future with certain invoice exports
When you first open the integration you will be greeted with a login box, which you will need to click to integrate your Kounta account with your Xero account.
This will then launch a familiar Xero login page where you can log in with your Xero username and password, which will then prompt you to confirm the integration between Kounta and Xero.
Once you are connected, you should see the valid connection in your Kounta Account.
Setting up your Default Accounts
Your Default Accounts are the accounts that Kounta will use when there is no Advanced Account Mapping details present (we will cover this further below in the guide). To begin mapping your Default Accounts select the Manage tab.
The first thing you will need to do is check the box, and confirm permission for Kounta to sync Account Sales and Takings (Reconciliation) data from your Kounta account to your Xero account.
You will now see all of the options to map your Xero Accounts to specific account types in Kounta, this is how Kounta will know where to export your reconciliation figures to when a takings export is completed.
The Integration will give you 'recommended' accounts for each account type, we have also included a brief description of each account type below.
Please Note: If you require any further clarification on any of the Account Type terms, and which accounts these should be mapped to in Xero, the Xero Support Team would be the best team to assist at firstname.lastname@example.org
Tracking Code's 1 & 2
Tracking (or cost centers as other accounting systems refer to them) are a way in Xero of tracking the performance of different areas of your business.
Eg: Splitting sections of Kounta sites under the same Xero account.
This feature is currently there for mapping, but this wont yet sync any information as part of the export. We will look into developing on this in future releases.
Invoice Number Prefix
This will allow you to place a prefix (eg: FN) at the start of any invoices that arrive in Xero to assist in which invoices belong to which export type (Account Sales or Reconciliation Exports)
|Kounta Account Type||Description||Xero Recommended Account Type||Xero Tax Code|
|Default Income||The Income Account is where Kounta will export all of your Finalised sales for each Reconciliation Period.||Income/Revenue/Sales||
Based on Sales type.
GST - Sell with GST
Tax-Free - Sell products Tax-Free
|Variance Account||The Variance Account will be the difference between your Kounta Recorded amounts and your Staff Counted amounts.||Payments, Liability||Not Taxable|
|Money In/Out||The total 'Money In & Out' portion from the Reconciliation period.||Payments, Income, Asset, Current Asset||Not Taxable/ Tax Free|
|Tips||Any collected Tips in the Reconciliation Period that have not been withdrawn as Cash.||Payments/ Current Liability||Not Taxable/ Tax Free|
|Gift Cards||Any collect amounts that relate to the creation of Gift Cards.||Liability, Payments||Not Taxable/ Tax Free|
Any collected amounts that represent a part payment on an Account Sale.
Eg: An Account Sale for $200 and a customer makes a 'Part Payment' for $100.
We will use this Xero account to account for that payment until the order has been fully paid.
A debit for the same amount is added to this account when the order is fully paid.
|Liability/ Other Current Liability/Payments||Not Taxable/ Tax Free|
Setting Up Kounta Tax Codes
Once the Default Accounts have been mapped you will need to then select the Xero Tax Type mapping for your Kounta tax codes.
The Integration will give you the recommended tax codes from your Xero Accounting Program for these tax types. If you don't see the option here but you use this Tax Type in Kounta, you will need to create the corresponding tax code in Xero.
Setting Up Clearing Accounts for Kounta Payments
You will now have the option of selecting your Xero Clearing Accounts for any payments that have been made in Kounta (These are all of your payment methods eg: Cash, EFTPOS, Albert & Tyro)
You will now come to an option that looks like the screenshot below. This will give you 2 options, to set the payments from Kounta to Xero and the payments from Xero to Kounta.
Payments from Kounta to Xero
This account represents the default account for all of your payment types in Kounta, if you select ONLY this option, all of your payment methods used in Kounta will be sent to this account.
Payments from Xero to Kounta
This option represents the payment method that will be used when any payments are made to an Account Sale Invoice in Xero.
When Xero sends the payment back to Kounta it will write the payment using this payment method.
Advanced Options for Clearing Accounts
If you select the 'Advanced Options' shown in the screenshot above, that will drop down a listing of all of your Kounta Payment Methods along with options to map those payment methods to specific accounts in Xero.
Eg: Cash goes to a Cash Clearing account, while EFTPOS will go to an EFTPOS Clearing account.
Once the above mapping has been completed, click 'SAVE' to save the account mapping.
Setting Up Product Level Mapping for Income Accounts
Once you have completed the above and you have clicked 'SAVE' you will then be presented with a box that looks like the one below.
This will now give you the option to select specific Income Accounts at a product level, this will tell Kounta to look at these settings first when we export to Xero before using the Default Income Account.
To begin, select 'Click here to configure individual Accounts for each of the Products."
This will now present you with a new page with two drop down boxes, you will now be able to select the following options for each account.
Selling Account - This will be the account that represents all of the Income (Sales) from that product.
Buying Account - This will be the account that represents all of the Cost (Purchase Cost) associated with that product.
Once you have configured the mapping for all of your products, just simply click 'SAVE'. Kounta will then utilize those settings on the next Reconciliation Export.
The Integration will be able to perform a sync of both your Reconciliation Reports and Account Sales on an Automatic Sync interval.
You will be able to see these options by clicking on the 'SYNC' tab on the Integration.
In this tab you will have the following options to view:
Synchronization Settings - This will allow you to configure your Timezone and will also show the Integration starting date.
Synchronization - You will be able to see the following options.
- If the Automatic Sync is turned on
- When the next Automatic Sync will be occurring
- When the last Automatic Sync has occurred
- You will also have the option to press 'Sync Now' if you would like to manually trigger a sync (this can be helpful if you are waiting on an Account Sale)
Setting Up Purchase Orders
On Manage plans or higher, Kounta can also synchronise Purchase Orders to Xero.
- Simply tick the box to enable Purchase Order synchronization
- Once enabled, you will need to complete the mapping sequence, it's very similar to sales. Use the drop down boxes to select which account should receive the cost associated to received purchase orders, and map your taxes to their Xero equivalents.
As purchase orders are marked as "received" in Kounta, they will export across to Xero.
For further details on how Kounta handles purchase orders, see the Inventory Add-On guide.
The functionality that the Integration is able to provide will differ depending on whether these functions are being performed in Kounta, or if they are being performed in Xero.
- An Account Sale is able to be created in Kounta, and we will then push an Account Sale Invoice into Xero. The Invoice will be created in the 'Awaiting Payments' section in Xero.
- You are able to make payments to Account Sale which will then sync those payments from Kounta and apply those payments to that Invoice in Xero.
- You are able to finalize an Account Sale in Kounta and those finalized payments will sync through to Xero and finalize the Invoice in Xero.
- If you add a contact to an Account Sale in Kounta, the Integration will create that contact in Xero as part of the Invoice sync.
- You are able to perform discounts/adjustments onto Account Sale and these will automatically adjust the line items of those products when the invoice is created in Xero.
Reconciliation (Takings) Exports
- All your Kounta reconciliation exports will export to Xero automatically each day.
- You are able to export via Default Accounts or select Payment and Product level specific accounts.
- Xero will be able to apply payments to an Account Sale Invoice and those payments will sync back to that same order in Kounta.
- Xero is not able to create invoices which will then create an Account Sale in Kounta, the Account Sale invoices are only able to be created in Kounta
- Xero is not able to make amendments to invoices as these changes will not sync back to Kounta and will cause the invoice to be over/underpaid.
- All of your Reconciliation Exports will be exported directly to the accounts specified in the Integration setup.