The MYOB Accounting Integration allows customers to configure their Kounta to their MYOB Accounting Program to integrate Reconciliation data and Account Sales between the two services. This guide will include an overview of the setup, functionality and steps on migrating from your existing MYOB Accounting Integration.
Please note: there are two separate Add-Ons, one for MYOB Essentials, and another for MYOB AccountRight - please use the correct one for the MYOB product you are subscribed to.
- A current and active MYOB subscription (You can create a MYOB Account here)
- You should already have your accounts created and setup in your MYOB Accounting Program (the MYOB Support Team will be able to help with this if you require assistance with creating these Accounts in your MYOB program, you can do this by contacting them on 1300 555 123 or their live chat feature: https://www.myob.com/au/contact-us)
- A desktop PC or Mac is required to complete the setup and manage the integration (this is not supported on mobile device like iPhone, iPad & Android)
Linking Kounta to MYOB
When you first open the integration you will be greeted with a login box, which you will need to click to integrate your Kounta account with your MYOB account.
This will then launch a familiar MYOB login page where you can log in with your MYOB username and password, which will then prompt you to confirm the integration between Kounta and MYOB.
Once you are connected, you should see the valid connection in your Kounta Account.
Setting up your Default Accounts
Your Default Accounts are the accounts that Kounta will use when there is no Advanced Account Mapping details present (we will cover this further below in the guide). To begin mapping your Default Accounts select the Manage tab.
The first thing you will need to do is check the box, and confirm permission for Kounta to sync Account Sales and Takings (Reconciliation) data from your Kounta account to your MYOB account.
You will now see all of the options to map your MYOB Accounts to specific account types in Kounta, this is how Kounta will know where to export your reconciliation figures to when a takings export is completed.
The Integration will give you 'recommended' accounts for each account type, we have also included a brief description of each account type below.
Please Note: If you require any further clarification on any of the Account Type terms, and which accounts these should be mapped to in MYOB, the MYOB Support Team would be the best team to assist at support@MYOB.com
Tracking Code's 1 & 2
Tracking (or cost centres as other accounting systems refer to them) are a way in MYOB of tracking the performance of different areas in your business.
Eg: Splitting sections of Kounta sites under the same MYOB account.
Invoice Number Prefix
This will allow you to place a prefix (eg: FN) at the start of any invoices that arrive in MYOB to assist in which invoices belong to which export type (Account Sales or Reconciliation Exports)
|Kounta Account Type||Description||MYOB Recommended Account Type||MYOB Tax Code|
|Default Income||The Income Account is where Kounta will export all of your Finalised sales for each Reconciliation Period.||Income/Revenue/Sales||
Based on Sales type.
GST - Sell with GST
Tax Free - Sell products Tax Free
|Variance Account||The Variance Account will be the difference between your Kounta Recorded amounts and your Staff Counted amounts.||Current Liability/ Other Current Liability/ Expense||Not Taxable|
|Money In Account||The total 'Money In' portion from the Reconciliation period.||Current Asset||Not Taxable|
|Money Out Account||The total 'Money Out' portion from the Reconciliation period.||Expense||Not Taxable/ Tax Free|
|Tips||Any collected Tips in the Reconciliation Period that have not been withdrawn as Cash.||Payments/ Current Liability||Not Taxable/ Tax Free|
|Gift Cards||Any collect amounts that relate to the creation of Gift Cards.||Current Liability/ Other Current Liability||Not Taxable/ Tax Free|
Any collected amounts that represent a part payment on an Account Sale.
Eg: An Account Sale for $200 and a customer makes a 'Part Payment' for $100.
We will use this MYOB account to account for that payment until the order has been fully paid.
A debit for the same amount is added to this account when the order is fully paid.
|Current Liability/ Other Current Liability/Payments||Not Taxable/ Tax Free|
Setting Up Kounta Tax Codes
Once the Default Accounts have been mapped you will need to then select the MYOB Tax Type mapping for your Kounta tax codes.
The Integration will give you the recommended tax codes from your MYOB Accounting Program for these tax types. If you dont see the option here but you use this Tax Type in Kounta, you will need to create the corresponding tax code in MYOB.
Setting Up Clearing Accounts for Kounta Payments
You will now have the option of selecting your MYOB Clearing Accounts for any payments that have been made in Kounta (These are all of your payment methods eg: Cash, EFTPOS, Albert & Tyro)
You will now come to an option that looks like the screenshot below. This will give you 2 options, to set the payments from Kounta to MYOB and the payments from MYOB to Kounta.
Payments from Kounta to MYOB
This account represents the default account for all of your payment types in Kounta, if you select ONLY this option, all of your payment methods used in Kounta will be sent to this account.
Advanced Options for Clearing Accounts
If you select the 'Advanced Options' shown in the screenshot above, that will drop down a listing off all of your Kounta Payment Methods along with options to map those payment methods to specific accounts in MYOB.
Eg: Cash goes to a Cash Clearing account, while EFTPOS will go to an EFTPOS Clearing account.
Once the above mapping has been completed, click 'SAVE' to save the account mapping.
Setting Up Product Level Mapping for Income Accounts
Once you have completed the above and you have clicked 'SAVE' you will then be presented with a box that looks like the one below.
This will now give you the option to select specific Income Accounts at a product level, this will tell Kounta to look at these settings first when we export to MYOB before using the Default Income Account.
To begin, select 'Click here to configure individual Accounts for each of the Products."
This will now present you with a new page with two drop down boxes, you will now be able to select the following options for each account.
Selling Account - This will be the account that represents all of the Income (Sales) from that product.
Buying Account - This will be the account that represents all of the Cost (Purchase Cost) associated with that product.
Once you have configured the mapping for all of your products, just simply click 'SAVE'. Kounta will then utilise those settings on the next Reconciliation Export.
The Integration will be able to perform a sync of both your Reconciliation Reports and Account Sales on an Automatic Sync interval.
You will be able to see these options by clicking on the 'SYNC' tab on the Integration.
In this tab you will have the following options to view:
Synchronization Settings - This will allow you to configure your Timezone and will also show the Integration starting date.
Synchronization - You will be able to see the following options.
- If the Automatic Sync is turned on
- When the next Automatic Sync will be occurring
- When the last Automatic Sync has occurred
- You will also have the option to press 'Sync Now' if you would like to manually trigger a sync (this can be helpful if you are waiting on an Account Sale)
The functionality that the Integration is able to provide will differ depending on whether these functions are being performed in Kounta, or if they are being performed in MYOB.
- An Account Sale is able to be created in Kounta, and we will then purchase an Account Sale Invoice into MYOB. The Invoice will be created in the 'Awaiting Payments' section in MYOB.
- You are able to make payments to Account Sale which will then sync those payments from Kounta and apply those payments to that Invoice in MYOB.
- You are able to finalise an Account Sale in Kounta and those finalised payments will sync through to MYOB and finalise the Invoice in MYOB.
- If you add a contact to an Account Sale in Kounta, the Integration will create that contact in MYOB as part of the Invoice sync.
- You are able to perform discounts/adjustments onto Account Sale and these will automatically adjust the line items of those products when the invoice is created in MYOB.
Reconciliation (Takings) Exports
- All your Kounta reconciliation exports will export to MYOB automatically each day.
- You are able to export via Default Accounts or select Payment and Product level specific accounts.
- MYOB is not able to create invoices which will then create an Account Sale in Kounta, the Account Sale invoices are only able to be created in Kounta
- MYOB is not able to make amendments to invoices as these changes will not sync back to Kounta and will cause the invoice to be over/underpaid.
- All of your Reconciliation Exports will be exported directly to the accounts specified in the Integration setup.
Migration Plan (Old Integration Users to New Integration)
Our new Integration has been completely re-written from the ground up, that means the way that we send and receive information along with the ways that we communicate with orders both in Kounta and in MYOB is different.
Because of this, there needs to be a migration plan for customers using the Old Integration and moving to the New Integration, as we are not able to communicate with Account Sales created using the Old Integration we have come up with the below steps to ensure a smooth transition.
1. Disable the Old Integration
You will need to disable the Old Integration, this will ensure that no information is sent through to MYOB while you are finalising the remaining Account Sales.
2. Create a Manual Payment to close Account Sales
You will need to create a Manual Payment Type (eg: MYOB Offline), this will allow you to close off these Account Sales in Kounta, for more information on how to create payment types, click here.
3. Go to the POS
You will need to log in to your Kounta POS and we will now need to close off ALL Account Sales that have been created, these will need to be closed off with the Manual Payment button (this will allow you to close those orders in Kounta and not be included in your normal payment clearing amounts)
4. Any Invoice created BEFORE the Integration start date will need to be managed in MYOB.
As we are not able to communicate with pre-existing Account Sales you will not be able to apply payments to those Account Sales and have them sync those payments to MYOB. You will either need to manage those Account Sales entirely in MYOB or create new Account Sales once you re-enable the Integration.