Smartpay has a native integration with Kounta POS to provide a faster, more secure and accurate workflow to process EFTPOS payments across all platforms (iOS, Android, Windows and, Mac) for their Australian and New Zealand customers.
This guide will walk you through the steps of enabling this addon and processing a sale with Smartpay.
Still investigating your EFTPOS solution? If you are still investigating which EFTPOS Integration is best suited for your business, you can look at the Kounta Payments page or Talk to a Payments Expert.
What's in this guide?
Before you begin
Setting up the integration to take EFTPOS payments is easy - you will want to have your account set up and the EFTPOS terminal(s) on site before attempting to integrate them and getting them talking. You will also need:
- Your POS terminal on hand and the Kounta App is installed
- If you need any help with installing the Kounta POS App, check out this guide
- Stable internet connection
Enable the Smartpay Integration
2. Enable this add-on by clicking on the orange Enable Smartpay button
Pair your Smartpay terminal with your Kounta POS
Pro Tip - You can pair one Smartpay terminal to multiple Kounta registers! Just give Smartpay a call to set this up.
1. Head to the Kounta POS screen
2. From the menu button (top left) select Add-ons
3. Select the Pair Smartpay option
4. On your Smartpay Device
- Power on the Terminal and wait till SmartConnect shows the Online State.
(If the terminal is showing "Terminal not paired, Pair it now?" Press YES. You can skip the next four steps.)
- Press MENU, select CONFIG.
- Enter the CONFIG menu password. (You will have set this up when you activated your device)
- Select POS INTEGRATIONS.
- Select AUTHORISE POS.
You should see an 8 digit pairing code on the terminal display.
Select the green Next button on the POS
5. Enter the 8 digit pairing code in the box and, click the green Find button
7. You may be prompted to update your Tipping, Signing and Merchant receipts - you can read more about these settings below.
Process a Sale with Smartpay on Kounta POS
Processing a sale with an integrated EFTPOS like Smartpay is easy and is covered in our guide on Processing Sales with Kounta POS
For a quick reference - all you need to do is click on the Smartpay logo from the Checkout panel
Tipping, Signing and Merchant receipt printing with Integrated EFTPOS
You can find the settings for how your integrated EFTPOS works when needed for Tipping, Signing or printing Merchant EFTPOS receipts here.
Pro Tip -If you are changing any register settings, don't forget to update you POS with a quick Sync.
Frequently Asked Questions
What terminals can I use with Smartpay?
The devices that are currently offered by Smartpay for integration are;
- S800 Fixed Ethernet Terminal - New Zealand Only
- S920 Mobile WIFI/GPRS Terminals - New Zealand Only
- D210 Mobile WIFI Terminal - New Zealand Only
- D210e Mobile WIFI Terminal - Australia Only
How much will this integration cost?
How does my Smartpay terminal talk to Kounta?
Each Smartpay terminal has its own connection to the internet (Ethernet cable, wifi or, 3G) which talks to Kounta servers through this connection (naturally, your Kounta POS terminal will need to be online). The Smartpay terminal will talk to the banks through its own internet connection.
Note from Smartpay: Please ensure the Smartpay Terminal has either an active internet connection via an Ethernet Cable plugged into the back of the Terminal (& into the Router) or Wifi Connectivity to your Wifi Network - depending on the terminal being used.
If you are using the Sim Card Mobile terminal, the terminal will display a G in the top right hand corner. Also ensure your Kounta Register is connected to the internet using WiFi, Ethernet or, a data sim card.
How do I report on Sales by Payment Type?
Payments Dashboards on Kounta Insights allows you to easily report on the payment types used in your business, see payment trends, and see which payment types are the most popular. Drill down for more details or to see trends for specific payment types, by site, and most importantly, trends over time.
What's my next step?
Finalising your takings with Integrated payments in the mix is now super easy - our walkthrough on finalising your end of day takings will show you the steps.
Have you started looking at getting the rest of your hardware connected with your Kounta POS? If not, you should look at what hardware you can use with Kounta.
If you haven't planned that far ahead it is worth reading our guide to building your restaurant workflows for success.