Adding & editing menu items in bulk - with .CSV
Need to add or make changes to lots of products at once?
No need to to do it one at a time.
Add or edit your products in bulk using a CSV file!
This guide covers how to get the CSV, what information you'll need and, how to upload it into Kounta.
Grab your menu and let’s get started!
What’s in this Guide?
- Can I bulk add or edit Product Variants, and Option sets?
- What's my next step?
Before you start
1. Before you start, you’ll need one of these apps to read CSV files:
- Microsoft Excel
- Numbers (for Mac)
- Google Sheets
- Calc - OpenOffice or LibreOffice
2. Make sure your Tax Settings are correct. Head over to “Company settings”
3. Under the “Details” tab, look for “Tax Settings”
4. Choose between “Use Tax Inclusive Prices” or “Use Tax Exclusive Prices”
Make sure to choose the correct option, because this will affect the CSV that you will download.
Add new products: download the Import Template
2. Hit the cloud icon with the arrow pointing up
3. Select “Get the Import Template”
4. Open the CSV file using any of the apps listed above.
Fill out the CSV
Now that you have the CSV downloaded, it is time to fill in the details.
When adding new products: The CSV will be blank. Mind that some columns must NOT be filled.
When editing your products: The CSV will have all your existing products. Edit the columns that correspond to the changes you want. Note that there are columns that you should NOT touch.
In this section, you will see the significance of each field and an example of how to fill it out.
If required fields are left blank, you will receive an error message once you upload the CSV.
Upload the CSV to Kounta
Awesome! Now you are ready to upload your template to your Kounta.
1. Before uploading, check if all the fields are filled out properly
2. After that, make sure it is saved in the correct file type. The file extension should say “.csv” - If it’s not, hit “Save As” or “Download As” and choose “Windows Comma Separated (.csv)” as the file type.
On Google Sheets:
4. Hit the cloud icon with the arrow pointing up
5. You will be taken here to upload your file. You can drag the file to the box or click on the box and then upload your file
6. If the upload fails, you will be notified of it. Make sure you have all the required fields filled and that the file type is correct.
7. If the upload fails again, please send it in an email to email@example.com outlining the errors you encountered. Our 24/7 support is also available to help you out
Edit existing products: download the Product Export
1. After this is all set, head over to the “Products section of your Kounta Back Office” and select the cloud icon with the arrow pointing down
2. In the Export Products page, make sure “CSV (Comma Separated Values) file” is ticked
3. Select “Export Products”
4. Then select “Download the export”
5. Open the CSV file using any of the software listed above. If you have any products manually added to Kounta, they will be included in the file.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I change my products layout?
Kounta allows you to change the order of your product categories and products. Learn about changing your menu layout.
Do all sites in a company share one menu?
You can choose to which site a product appears because sites under the same company will share the same product master list.
Follow these steps to manage which products appear in which sites.
- Head to the “Products section of your Kounta Back Office”
- Select the product
- Look for “Product Management”
- Check off the sites to which the products will appear
Can I bulk add or edit Product Variants and Option sets?
Not for now- these menu features can only be added or edited through the Back Office.
What if I get stuck?
We're with you every step of the way & our Support is 24/7 - because hospo headaches happen at all hours of the day.
Guides you can watch or read, Email, Live Chat, Call or, smoke-signal!
What's my next step?
Maximize the full power of Kounta menu tools!
- Learn about setting up Modifiers
- Learn about setting up Option Sets
- Learn about setting up Variants
- Learn about setting up Variable Quantity (or Price)
- Learn about advanced product setting - product description, tags, barcodes, and accounting