Need to add or make changes to lots of products at once? No need to to do it one at a time. Add or edit your products in bulk using a CSV file!
This guide covers how to get the CSV, what information you'll need and, how to upload it to Kounta.
Grab your menu and let’s get started!
What’s in this guide?
Before you begin
- You’ll need Google Sheets to read CSV files.
- Make sure you are using a desktop or laptop to access this feature as it is not accessible on the iOS or Android App, and let's be honest - it's much easier using a spreadsheet app with a keyboard and mouse
- Make sure your Tax Settings are correct.
- Head over to Company settings
- Under the Details tab, look for Tax Settings
- Choose between Use Tax Inclusive Prices or Use Tax Exclusive Prices
Note - Make sure to choose the correct option, because this will affect the CSV that you will download.
Add new products: download the Import Template
2. Select Get the Import Template
3. Open the CSV file using Google Sheets.
Fill out the CSV
Now that you have the CSV downloaded, it is time to fill in the details.
When adding new products: The CSV will be blank. Mind that some columns must NOT be filled.
When editing your products: The CSV will have all your existing products. Edit the columns that correspond to the changes you want. Note that there are columns that you should NOT edit.
In this section, you will see the significance of each field. If required fields are left blank, you will receive an error message once you upload the CSV.
Upload the CSV to Kounta
Awesome! Now you are ready to upload your template to your Kounta.
1. Before uploading, check if all the fields are filled out properly
2. After that, make sure it is saved in the correct file type. The file extension should say “.csv” - If not, select Download As and choose Comma-separated values (.csv) as the file type.
On Google Sheets:
3. Ready to upload! Under Products from the Kounta Back Office, select the cloud icon with the arrow pointing up
4. You will be taken here to upload your file. You can drag the file to the box or click on the box and then upload your file
5. If the upload fails, you will be notified of it. Make sure you have all the required fields filled and that the file type is correct.
6. If the upload fails again, please send it in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org outlining the errors you encountered. Our 24/7 support is also available to help you out
Edit existing products: download the Product Export
2. In the Export Products page, make sure CSV (Comma Separated Values) file is ticked (see image below)
3. Select Export Products
4. Then, select Download the export
5. Open the CSV file using Google Sheets. If you have any products manually added to Kounta, they will be included in the file
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I change my products layout?
Kounta allows you to change the order of your product categories and products. Learn about changing your menu layout.
Do all sites in a company share one menu?
You can choose to which site a product appears because sites under the same company will share the same product master list.
Follow these steps to manage which products appear in which sites.
- Head to the Products section of your Kounta Back Office
- Select the product
- Look for Product Management
- Check off the sites to which the products will appear
Can I bulk add or edit Product Variants and Option sets?
Not for now- these menu features can only be added or edited through the Back Office.
What's my next step?
Maximize the full power of Kounta menu tools!
- Make sure customers get exactly what they ordered. Record item changes, such as no salad or extra bacon, in just a few taps using Product Modifiers.
- Enable your staff to add or remove ingredients or create combo meals. Prompt your staff to upsell. Or maybe you just need to organise your product modifiers to make menu navigation easier. Kounta’s Option Sets makes this all possible. Option Sets allows you to customise your menu workflow for maximum efficiency.
- If you sell a product in different sizes, flavours or with any other variable attribute, check out Product Variants - this will allow you to sell as many product variations as you need - all in a neat and tidy menu.
- Need flexibility in entering quantities and prices at the POS - like when selling by the ounce or kilo? Now you can set specific products to automatically ask staff to enter a quantity or price using Variable Quantities and Prices.
- Need to add product description, tags, barcodes, and the like? Check out advanced product settings!