Kounta App Printing - Choose and Setup Hardware
Part Two of the Printer Setup Trilogy
If you’re reading this, you’re looking to set-up Kounta App printing, because your Kounta site is only using iOS or Android at the POS.
If you use at least one Mac, Windows, or Commbank Albert as a POS, then you'll need Intelligent Printing instead.
By the end of this guide, you’ll have a fully functional Kounta App Printing System.
Note - If you are looking to connect your Epson TM-m30 Bluetooth Printer then you should read our guide on Bluetooth Printing.
What’s in this guide?
- STEP A: Make sure you have everything you need for this setup
- STEP B: Get the printers ready - do these steps for all printers
- STEP C: Get the IP addresses of each printer
- STEP D: Add your printers to Kounta
- STEP E: Connect printers to your Kounta POS
Choosing a printer
The Kounta App printing method allows your iPad or Android Tablet/ Mobile to communicate directly with compatible Epson or Star (iPad App only) ethernet printers.
- TM-M30 Ethernet
- TM-T82II Ethernet
- TM-T20 Ethernet
- TM-T70 Ethernet
- TM-T88V Ethernet - (Different from the Epson 'TM-T88VI' which is NOT supported)
- U220 Ethernet Impact Printer
- Epson Intelligent printers - TM-T88V-i, TM-T82II-i, TM-T70-i
Star (iOS App only)
- TSP-100 Ethernet
- TSP-654 Ethernet
Setting up my Kounta App printer system
STEP A: Make sure you have everything you need for this setup
You would need:
STEP B: Get the printers ready - do these steps for all printers
1. Load them with paper. The paper should feed from under the roll
2. Connect these cables:
- Power cable (& turned on)
- Network/ ethernet cable (the other end plugged into the router)
- And, cash drawer cable should be plugged - for any printers with which you plan to use a cash drawer
Pro Tip - The ethernet cable should always have a solid green light when plugged in.
If you do not have a solid green light please check the cable is securely plugged into your router.
STEP C: Get the IP addresses of each printer
The IP addresses are assigned by the router and, they are the unique identifier for each device on a network so they can all talk to each other. The IP address will be used for reference later.
An example of an IP address is 192.168.0.0 or 10.0.0.0
Here is how to get a status sheet to know the IP address and DHCP of your printer:
- Grab a pen and hold in the status button at the back of the printer for three to four seconds - BUT no more that 5 seconds. WARNING: Holding the pen in for more than five seconds will factory reset the printer. If this happens you will need to read our guide on Enabling DHCP for your printer
- Find the details on the printout. Note down your IP address for reference once the printer is added.
3. If any of your printers printed this IP Address: 192.168.192.168 or if your DHCP says disabled, please go to the enabling DHCP guide first.
STEP D: Add your printers to Kounta
1. Log into Kounta
2. From Sites in the Kounta Back Office, select Printers
3. Update each of the Production Printer Settings fields with the details below;
- Production Printing Method: Kounta App Printing
- Production printing Font Size: Normal
- Production Printing: You can choose either All items to all printers or Printer/Item specific - the latter will allow you to assign products to print out as dockets to specific printers.
4. Select the orange Save at the bottom of the page
STEP E: Connect printers to your Kounta POS
1. Head on over to your POS on the Kounta App
2. Select the menu on the left-hand side - then select Printing
3. The system should immediately start searching for your printers - hang tight. If not, select Search for Printers Again
4. This will automatically add and connect the POS printers in the network. Once you see this dialog box, select Continue to Settings
5. Awesome, the printers are added! Select Test to see if the printer/s are working properly.
6. In the same page, you can assign which printer will print receipts, open the cash drawer, and print production dockets.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I download the Kounta App?
You can download the Kounta app on Android and iOS. Learn about best practices on downloading app.
Can I print wirelessly?
Indeed you can! For this, you would need a printer with a Bluetooth printer. Learn all about using Bluetooth printers with Kounta.
Do I need an intelligent printer?
Intelligent printers can be used but are not necessary for this setup.
Take note that if you use an intelligent printer in the Kounta App Printing system, it will have the basic functionality of a non-intelligent printer. This is because the intelligent function of the intelligent printer is not needed for Kounta App Printing.
My IP address is 192.168.192.168; what do I do?
This is a sign that your DHCP is disabled.
In some printers, the status sheet printout would say that the DHCP is disabled.
If you encounter any of these, please go to the enabling DHCP guide first.
What is the best layout for my hardware?
Are you currently completing your hardware system? We’re here to help.
We have hardware layouts that we recommend for different stores. You can also check out what hardware (apart from printers) work well with your Kounta system.
What if I get stuck?
What's my next step?
Have you added your products? Add your products easily and quickly through the Kounta Back Office.
Maximise efficiency by printing your order dockets straight to the kitchen. Configure your production printing to suit your layout.