Creating and Selling with Product Modifiers
Easily handle product modifications.
Record item changes, such as no salad or extra bacon, in just a few taps. Print them clearly on production dockets so that customers get exactly what they ordered.
A modifier cannot be purchased alone, but they can have their own price (or discount) if you need.
Often used for:
- “Soy milk” for that latte
- “Rare” for that cut of steak
- “No cheese” on that burger
- “**Gluten Free**” on that <insert dish here>
This guide covers how to set up and sell with Modifiers.
Let’s get going!
What’s in this Guide?
- Setup on-screen Modifiers
- Add on-screen Modifiers to an order
- Remove on-screen Modifiers from an order
- Setup menu modifiers via product-linked Option Sets
- Add product-linked options to an order
- Remove product-linked options from an order
- I am not seeing the Option Sets Tab - How do I enable it?
On-screen Modifiers or product-linked Option Set - which is better?
You can use both!
These two can achieve the same outcome in different ways.
It’s a matter of (1) where you want Modifiers to appear and (2) whether or not you want them to be linked to a particular product.
Here is a cheat sheet on deciding when to use which modifier!
Here is how on-screen Modifiers and Product-linked Option Sets compare in achieving one outcome:
On-screen Modifiers ‘The Time Savers’
- Common modifications or notes for products within the same category (e.g. type of milk for coffee)
- Shows in the category (e.g. coffee) along with the products (e.g. latte - regular)
Setup on-screen Modifiers
Modifiers are created the same way you create basic products - with just one twist.
1. Head to the Products section of your Kounta back office and add a product as normal.
2. After the modifier is added as a product, select it to be taken to the Product Info Page.
3. Scroll down to the Product Options section and, set “Make this product a modifier” to “Yes”
4. Select “Save” at the bottom of the page.
Pro Tip - If you are looking to toggle these switches for lots of modifiers, you should read our guide on Bulk Editing with .CSV
Add on-screen modifiers to an order
Now that have created your modifiers, here is how you will use them at the Point-of-Sale:
1. Go to your Kounta Point-of-Sale
2. Select the product you need to modify
3. Then, select the Modifier
4. Success! It will appear in the order summary like this:
Remove on-screen modifiers from an order
You can remove a modifier that you’ve attached to a product while taking the order. Here’s how:
1. Select the product from the order summary to edit the order
2. Select “Modifiers”
3. You will be taken to the Modifiers page
4. Select “Remove” beside the Modifier you want to remove
5. Select “Save”
Product-Linked Option Set
- Useful for:
- Grouping multiple modifiers into a sequence
- Prompting important questions (e.g. steak temperature or how would you like your eggs cooked)
- Combo meals ( different options for each course, side or drink)
- Adding or removing Ingredients
- Shows as a list of options after the product is selected
- Can be set to auto prompt
Setup menu modifiers via product-linked Option Sets
Once you have added your modifiers to your menu, you can now group them into an Option Set and link them to a product
1. From the products page in the back office, select the Option Sets tab
2. Select “Create Option Set”
3. Give your Option Set a name. In this example, we are going with “1 Milk Options”
4. And select “ Create”
Pro Tip - Putting a number before the name is a good way to establish sequence for multiple Option Sets. (e.g. 1 Milk Options, 2 Strength, 3 Temperature etc.) - These can also be manually re-ordered.
5. Add your ‘options’ in this case these are your modifiers.
Add an option: Input the name of the different options one at a time (e.g. Almond Milk). Once you start typing, this will search your menu for the modifiers you have made
(Price)$: This will pre-fill based on the default price for the modifier for when you originally created it - you can choose to change the price to have a unique price when in this Option Set from this page.
Tax: Select applicable tax
6. Hit the “plus” on the right to add this modifier to your Option Set.
Pro Tip - If you’ve forgotten to add your modifiers to your menu already and, can’t find it when adding your options, you can create it here by giving it a name, a price and a tax.
7. For more optional settings, select “Rules”
Minimum Selection: Force your staff to select a minimum number of options - Perfect for mandatory questions.
Maximum Selection: This will give a limit to how many options your staff can select for this Option Set
Show Option Prefixes (No, Extra, Side, Only): Set to “Yes” if you want these additional instructions to show along with the Options you set.
These fields should auto-save
Now that we’ve made our Option Sets, we can link these to our products
8. Select the “Link to Products” tab at the top of the Option Sets page
9. Use the search bar to search for the products you are going to be adding your Option Set to - this will recognise either the product name, any product tags or, the category
10. Fill in the following fields under the product:
Linked Option Sets: Input the name of the Option Set here. (e.g 1 Milk Options).
Auto-Prompt on POS: This must be set to “Yes” so that it shows up automatically on the POS
Add product-linked options to an order
1. From the Kounta POS, place your order as normal
2. Immediately, it will show your set of options (if the auto prompt is on). As you select more options, it will update on the order summary:
3. Select “Save”
4. You’ll be redirected to the main screen and the order will look like this:
Remove product-linked options to an order
1. At Kounta Point-of-Sale, select the product initials or image from the order list
2. It will take you to the editing page
3. Select “Options”
4. You will be taken to the “Options” page
5. Hit the “x” beside the modifiers to remove them
6. Hit “Save” when you’re done
Frequently Asked Questions
Option Sets and Modifiers - are they the same thing?
Option Sets and modifiers are separate features on Kounta. However, Option Sets can be used to group together menu modifiers.
How do I reorder Modifiers on the POS
You can rearrange On-screen Modifiers the same way as products. Learn how you can rearrange products on the POS.
As for Product-Linked Option Sets, the way to rearrange them is in the Back Office. Learn how you can rearrange Option Sets and Options.
Can I add my Modifiers in bulk?
I am not seeing the Option Sets Tab - How do I enable it?
1. If you haven’t already enabled Option Sets, go to the Option Sets addon page
2. Select “Enable Option Sets”
What if I get stuck?
We're with you every step of the way & our Support is 24/7 - because hospo headaches happen at all hours of the day.
Guides you can watch or read, Email, Live Chat, Call or, smoke-signal!
What's my next step?
Maximize the full power of Kounta menu tools!
- Learn more about setting up Option Sets
- Learn about setting up Product Variants
- Learn about setting up Variable Quantity (or Price)
- Learn about advanced product setting - product description, tags, barcodes, and accounting