Easily handle product modifications.
Record item changes, such as no salad or extra bacon, in just a few taps. Print them clearly on production dockets so that customers get exactly what they ordered.
A modifier cannot be purchased alone, but they can have their own price (or discount) if you need.
Often used for:
- Soy milk for that latte
- Rare for that cut of steak
- No cheese on that burger
- **Gluten Free** on that <insert dish here>
What’s in this guide?
On-screen Modifiers or product-linked Option Set - which is better?
You can use both!
These two can achieve the same outcome in different ways.
It’s a matter of (1) where you want Modifiers to appear and (2) whether or not you want them to be linked to a particular product.
Here is a cheat sheet on deciding when to use which modifier!
Here is how on-screen Modifiers and Product-linked Option Sets compare in achieving one outcome:
On-screen Modifiers ‘The Time Savers’
- Common modifications or notes for products within the same category (e.g. type of milk for coffee)
- Shows in the category (e.g. coffee) along with the products (e.g. latte - regular)
Setup on-screen Modifiers
Modifiers are created the same way you create basic products - with just one twist.
2. After the modifier is added as a product, select the cog icon beside it
3. Scroll down to the Product Options section and, set Make this product a modifier to Yes
4. Select Save at the bottom of the page.
Pro Tip - If you are looking to toggle these switches for lots of modifiers, you should read our guide on Bulk Editing with .CSV
Add on-screen modifiers to an order
Now that have created your modifiers, here is how you will use them at the Point-of-Sale:
1. From your Kounta Point-of-Sale, select the product you need to modify
2. Then, select the Modifier
3. Success! It will appear in the order summary like this:
Remove on-screen modifiers from an order
You can remove a modifier that you’ve attached to a product while taking the order. Here’s how:
1. Select the product from the order summary to edit the order
2. Select Modifiers
3. You will be taken to the Modifiers page. Select Remove beside the Modifier you want to remove
4. Select Save
Product-Linked Option Set 'The Flow Setters'
- Useful for:
- Grouping multiple modifiers into a sequence
- Prompting important questions (e.g. steak temperature or how would you like your eggs cooked)
- Combo meals ( different options for each course, side or drink)
- Adding or removing Ingredients
- Shows as a list of options after the product is selected
- Can be set to auto-prompt
Setup menu modifiers via product-linked Option Sets
Once you have added your modifiers to your menu, you can now group them into an Option Set and link them to a product
2. Select Create Option Set
3. Give your Option Set a name. In this example, we are going with “1 Milk Options”
4. And select Create
Pro Tip - Putting a number before the name is a good way to automatically establish sequence for multiple Option Sets. (e.g. 1 Milk Options, 2 Strength, 3 Temperature etc.) - These can also be manually re-ordered.
5. Add your options - in this case, these are your modifiers.
Add an option: Input the name of the different options one at a time (e.g. Almond Milk). Once you start typing, this will search your menu for the modifiers you have made
(Price)$: This will pre-fill based on the default price for the modifier for when you originally created it - you can choose to change the price to have a unique price when in this Option Set from this page.
Tax: Select applicable tax
6. Select the plus icon on the right to add this modifier to your Option Set.
Pro Tip - If you’ve forgotten to add your modifiers to your menu already and, can’t find it when adding your options, you can create it here by giving it a name, a price and a tax.
7. For more optional settings, select Rules
Minimum Selection: Force your staff to select a minimum number of options - Perfect for mandatory questions.
Maximum Selection: This will give a limit to how many options your staff can select for this Option Set
Show Option Prefixes (No, Extra, Side, Only): Set to Yes if you want these additional instructions to show along with the Options you set.
These fields should auto-save
Now that we’ve made our Option Sets, we can link these to our products
8. Select the Link to Products tab at the top of the Option Sets page
9. Use the search bar to search for the products you are going to be adding your Option Set to - this will recognise either the product name, any product tags or, the category
10. Fill in the following fields under the product:
Linked Option Sets: Input the name of the Option Set here. (e.g 1 Milk Options).
Auto-Prompt on POS: This must be set to Yes so that it shows up automatically on the POS
Add product-linked options to an order
1. From the Kounta Point of Sale, place your order as normal
2. Immediately, it will show your set of options (if the auto prompt is on). As you select more options, it will update on the order summary:
3. Select Save
4. You’ll be redirected to the main screen and the order will look like this:
Remove product-linked options to an order
1. At Kounta Point-of-Sale, select the product initials or image from the order list
2. It will take you to the editing page
3. Select Options
4. You will be taken to the Options page. Select the X beside the modifiers to remove them
5. Select Save
Frequently Asked Questions
Option Sets and Modifiers - are they the same thing?
Option Sets and modifiers are separate features on Kounta. However, Option Sets can be used to group together menu modifiers.
How do I reorder Modifiers on the POS
You can rearrange On-screen Modifiers the same way as products. Learn how you can rearrange products on the POS.
As for Product-Linked Option Sets, the way to rearrange them is in the Back Office. Learn how you can rearrange Option Sets and Options.
Can I add my Modifiers in bulk?
I am not seeing the Option Sets Tab - How do I enable it?
1. If you haven’t already enabled Option Sets, go to the Option Sets addon page
2. Select Enable Option Sets
What's my next step?
Maximize the full power of Kounta menu tools!
Enable your staff to add or remove ingredients or create combo meals. Prompt your staff to upsell. Or maybe you just need to organise your product modifiers to make menu navigation easier. Kounta’s Option Sets makes this all possible. Option Sets allows you to customise your menu workflow for maximum efficiency.
If you sell a product in different sizes, flavours or with any other variable attribute, check out Product Variants - this will allow you to sell as many product variations as you need - all in a neat and tidy menu.
Need flexibility in entering quantities and prices at the POS - like when selling by the ounce or kilo? Now you can set specific products to automatically ask staff to enter a quantity or price using Variable Quantities and Prices.
Need to add product description, tags, barcodes, and the like? Check out advanced product settings!