Creating and Selling Product Variants
Need a quick way to access different variations of a product?
If you sell a product in different sizes, flavours or with any other variable attribute then setting up Product Variants is key.
Often used for:
- Wine: By the bottle or By the glass (Attribute: Size)
- Coffee: Small or Regular or Large (Attribute: Size)
- Flavor of gelato: Vanilla or Chocolate or Pistachio or Strawberry (Attribute: Flavor)
You can even get more creative and have more than one attribute;
- T-Shirts: Sml - Orange, Sml - Grey, Med- Orange, Med- Grey (Attributes: Sizes & Colors)
When these Variants are shown on the POS they will appear under the same product button - keeping your POS looking organised and maximised for speed.
Pro Tip - Each Variant becomes its own product - able to have different sell prices, cost prices, barcodes, SKU, stock levels, purchasing and, recipes.
Let’s get going!
What’s in this Guide?
- Option Sets and Variants - are they the same thing?
- How do I reorder Product Variants on the POS?
- Can I add my Variants in bulk?
Setup Product Variants
Before being able to sell product Variants on the POS, it must be set up. Here’s how:
2. Open the product settings page by selecting the setting cogwheel
3. Select the “Variants” tab and enter your attribute. Attributes should be general like “Size” or “Flavor” or “Color.” The specifics are for later.
4. Select “Add”
5. Once the attribute is added, it should look like this.
6. You can add more attributes if you need or, select Save Template:
7. When you are sure of the change, select “Yes” on this dialog box
8. You can now start adding your Variants by selecting the Add a new Variant button
9. Fill in the fields:
Value: On the POS or menu, this will be part of the Variant’s name.
Sell price: Each Variant can have its own sell price - enter the price for this Variant now.
Remember: Variants are named after the Product Template and the Value. Refer to these examples:
10. Select “Add Variant” and the Variant will be included in the list like so
Add Product Variants to an order
You can now take an order with your Variants!
1. Go to your Kounta Point-of-Sale
2. When you select your Variant during an order on the POS you will be prompted to now see your Variants
Pro Tip - The layout of the Variants can be changed similar to how you rearrange the layout of regular products.
3. Select which Variant and this will be added in the order summary
Remove a Product Variant from an order
You can remove a Variant from an order, just like a regular product.
1. Select the product Variant from the order summary to open the edit screen and select Remove
Frequently Asked Questions
Option sets and Variants - are they the same thing?
Option sets and Variants both appear after the product is selected at the POS. Both of them specify what the customer wants in different ways.
Variants are products since they are the same product in different sizes, colours, flavours, and other attributes.
Meanwhile, Option Sets are alterations to the product presented as a series of options or modifiers.
How do I reorder Product Variants on the POS?
Product Variants are still considered products and can, therefore, be rearranged or reordered on the POS in the same way as regular products.
Can I add my Variants in bulk?
At the moment, Variants can only be added one at a time.
What if I get stuck?
We're with you every step of the way & our Support is 24/7 - because hospo headaches happen at all hours of the day.
Guides you can watch or read, Email, Live Chat, Call or, smoke-signal!
What's my next step?
Maximize the full power of Kounta menu tools!
- Learn about setting up Modifiers
- Learn more about setting up Option Sets
- Learn about setting up Variable Quantity (or Price)
- Learn about advanced product setting - product description, tags, barcodes, and accounting