What are Variants?
Variants are a great way to add products with variations like Size or Colour (such as T-shirts, or even something like a coffee with different sizes).
The Products created using the Variants function show on the POS within a Product Tile called a Product Template that is indicated with a small V in the bottom right of the tile.
When selecting the Product Template (e.g. T-Shirt), the Variant Products (e.g. T-Shirt - White, Medium) would appear and can be selected to be applied to a Sale.
In the example below:
The Product Template is T-Shirt.
The Attributes are Colour and Size.
The values for "Colour" are Blue and White.
The values for "Size" are Medium and Large.
The Product Variants are:
Modifiers can still be applied to a Variant product. For example, if a customer were to purchase a "Large Flat White" they can still add a modifier of skim milk should the customer prefer skim milk with their coffee.
Click here to learn more about Modifiers
How to make Variant Products
Follow the steps below to create products with Variants.
- In the Products section of Back Office, create a new product.
- In this example I'm making a 'Milkshake' product, so I enter in the details to suit.
- Click 'Save and edit this product' to go into the Product Information section.
- Click the 'Variants' tab
- We now need to tell Kounta what the Attributes will be (size? colour?) - in this case it's Size and Flavour.
Consider this carefully, once you've saved it you can't change your mind - you'd have to delete the product and start again.
- Click the 'Save Template' button at the bottom of the screen
- The screen will now change and allow you to 'Add a new Variant'
- It will now ask you what values need to be added to the attributes. In this case Flavour is Chocolate, and Size is Small. Give it a Price and click Add. Go ahead and create more of your variants here as well.
- You can now see all the created variants.
How to Sell Variants
Once created, the variant products can be found on the POS.
The template product that you created will show like normal in the categories you assigned.
Note: Template products will have a V in the bottom right corner of the tile so you can clearly identify them on the screen.
Once you tap on the Template product, you will be shown all the different Variations and can add these like normal items.
Note: Variants can have all of their own settings like barcodes, stock levels, purchasing rules and recipes!