By adding your products to Kounta, you will be able to create your POS menu and pantry lists (items you sell, buy and, stock.) You can also use Kounta to track your inventory.
This article covers how to upload your basic product info to Kounta.
Note - inventory/stock items that you sell (e.g. merch) or don't sell (e.g. Flour) are also added to Kounta as products. You can start adding them to Kounta using the steps below, but these products will have separate settings - which we talk more about in a separate guide, Adding your inventory items to Kounta.
What's in this guide?
Before you begin
Have you got your menu finalised yet? That's really the first step - if not, our team has a helpful post on Creating a Customer-centric Menu. Otherwise, let's go!
Create your products
1. Under Products from the Kounta Back Office, select Add Products
2. Fill in the basic product information
- Category (Categorise your products to make them visible on the POS screen)
- Sales Price
- Sales Tax Type
3. Select Add Product to save this product and add another product
Pro Tip - The product names are what shows on the POS or in your stock lists - keep the names logical (ie not - "Shake - S" but maybe "Shake - Strawberry") and, for raw goods it helps to include the sizes (ie not "milk" but maybe "Milk, Full Cream, 2L")
Note - Did we miss a product setting you were looking for? Our Advanced Product Settings guide goes into more detailed product settings.
Edit your products' basic information
For basic changes, these can be made on the main Products page - the options for name, category, sales price and tax type can all be edited from here. These will autosave.
Made a mistake and need to delete your product?
Easy - just select the little trash can beside the product name - but once a product is gone, it is gone for good. No more recipe, no more stock levels. Although, the sales data will still be there for you - safe and secure.
Create your categories
Note - Only assign categories to products that you want to appear on your POS.
Categories can either be created when you create your products;
1. Under Products from the Kounta Back Office, select POS Categories
2. Select the orange Add Category button
3. Name your category and select Add Category
Frequently Asked Questions
Products, Variants and, Modifiers - What's the difference?
We get asked this a lot, don't worry;
Products - You either sell these on your menu, buy these from your suppliers or, stock these products
Variants - Set variations of your menu items to capture common options - think sizes for coffee (or wine & beer) and, flavours for milkshakes.
Modifiers - Common changes to products that your customers might request (but generally aren't sold solo) - soy milk for coffee or rare for that cut of steak
How do I add pictures or colours to my products on the POS?
Hang tight, you are almost there. For adding pictures you should check out our Advanced Product Settings or, to simply add colours or rearrange the POS screen, you should look at our guide on Arranging your POS.
What's my next step?
Well, that was easy. Now let's look at tweaking those products!
- Tech Savvy and can work your way around a CSV sheet? - You might find it easier to Bulk import your product list to save time.
- Need to add a photo and finetune advanced product settings like inventory details, accounting details, and more? Then check out our guide on Adding your inventory items to Kounta.
- Do your products have multiple variations (ie size or flavour?) - Create variants for your products.
- When you have your products in, you might need to set up your meal combos using our Option Sets.
- Need to track the stock levels of your products? - Enable Inventory add-on to get started.