Kounta App Printing allows Kounta to use standard Point of Sale printers over an internal network.
Typically this would involve downloading complex drivers to your computer and connecting the printer up. But if you are using out App on an iPad, iPhone, iPod or Android device you simply need to plug your printer into your network router and then 'search' for the printers to link them up.
If you are using a Windows or MacOS device for POS mode and printing receipts (or a Commonwealth Bank Albert) you will need to use Intelligent Printing mode.
Kounta App printing is ideal for any customer running the Kounta App on an iPad, iPhone, iPod or Android device that needs a quick and easy setup to get going quickly.
- Easy setup all within the Kounta App itself
- No need to complicated drivers
- Plug and Play solution
- Printers not purchased from Kounta or installed by our partners may require some additional setup (see our DHCP guide)
- Does have some very strict requirements for networking - see our Best Practice guide.
- Only works with particular printers.
Click on the platform below for compatible printers:
iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
Set up the Printer
Before we get started we need to plug your printer into the network.
There are typically two or three cables that need to be connected to your printer, and obviously the paper roll will need to be inserted as well.
- Connect your network cable to the Ethernet Cable slot. When working, this port should always have a solid green light. If you do not have a solid green light please check the cable goes to your router, and follow our DHCP guide
- If you are connecting a till drawer to this printer, it will connect to the Cash Drawer (or DK) port.
- The Power Cable will connect to the port we've labelled here.
Once your cables are all connected, drop the roll of paper in, and turn on the printer.
As long as you have a green light on your network port you should be ready for the next step.
Adding your printers to Kounta
Kounta will search your network for your printers. So once they are connected and powered up, simply do the following.
Firstly, ensure your Kounta Site is set to use Kounta App printing.
- In Back Office, from the left Menu, then click MySite
- Select 'Printing' from the top Menu
- Ensure that you are set to 'Kounta App Printing' and click Save.
Once that has been done, search for the printers in POS mode:
- In POS mode, click the 'Menu' button
- Select Printing
- The system should immediately start searching for your printers. (If not, click 'Search For Printers Again' to add more printers)
Simply click the 'Test' button next to each printer to confirm they work.
Note: If Kounta cannot find any printers, ensure you are connected to the correct WiFi network.
If the Kounta App is unable to find your printers. You may need to Enable DHCP first.
Once you have setup your printers on the POS you will then be able to adjust your production docket settings through Back Office.
Learn how to setup and adjust Production Printing
If you don't get the option to even search for printers, ensure your register is set to use Kounta App Printing in the Register Settings.
Add printers manually
You can also manually add printers without using the search function, if for whatever reason it does not work properly for you.
- You will need to obtain the IP address that each printer uses. This can be found by holding down the reset button near the network cable. (Warning: release this button as soon as you feel it printing something, and do not ever hold it down for longer than 4 seconds. )
- The printer will then print off a status sheet that will advise an IP address. This sheet will have a slightly different appearance between models, but you're looking for the words 'IP Address' and the numbers after it.
(Note: If the IP address is 192.168.192.168 you must follow or DHCP guide
- if the IP address is 'NONE' check your cabling).
(Also note: If 'DHCP' is set to 'Disabled' you may need to look at our DHCP guide )
- You can then go into Kounta's Back Office, go to My Site -> Printers and then add your printer. Simply give it a name and enter in the IP address printed on the above receipt.
- Once this is done (don't forget to check the Register Settings are set to use Kounta App printing) go to your POS, click the Menu button and then go to Printing and click 'search for printers' just as described above.