Easily organise product-related options on your menu!
Option Sets are simply a group of either products or modifiers.
You can link as many Option Sets as needed to a product to guide your staff through a selling workflow or, hide them on the POS for the less-common modifications.
Often used for:
- Important Questions - Prompting staff to ask important questions - such as how is that steak cooked or, would you prefer chips/salad or vegetables/mash?
- Upselling - Prompting staff to ask that all-important upsell question that you are pushing this month.
- Combo Meals - Creating a combo meal or a banquet dinner with different options for each course, side or drink. We understand this setup is a bit tricky - which is why we made a guide for it
- Add or Remove Ingredients - add, remove or, swap ingredients from each menu item easily with sets of Modifiers. Set the adjustment price once for any surcharge for additional ingredients
- Grouping Modifiers - Modifiers are on-screen items that indicate modifications to products. The Option Sets can be used to group them together.
Option Sets can seem tricky at times - because they can allow for super easy order prompts, more complex workflows, and everything in between!
Pro Tip - Our hospo pro’s use Option Sets ALL the time - if you’re not sure if Option Sets are for your setup, then check out our Best Practise guides below or give our setup experts a call.
What’s in this guide?
Enable the Option Sets add-on
2. Enable this Add-on by clicking on the orange Enable Option Sets button
Set Up an Option Set
2. Select Create Option Set
3. Give your option set a name. In this example, we're going with "Pizza Toppings”
Pro Tip - Putting a number before the name of the option set is a good way to establish a specific sequence for multiple option sets assigned to one product (e.g. 1 Pizza Crust, 2 Pizza Sauce, 3 Pizza Toppings.)
4. Select Create
Pro Tip - Putting a number before the name is also a good way to establish a sequence for options (e.g. 1 Cheese, 2 Oregano, 3 Pepperoni.)
- (Price)$: Each option can have a unique price which will only apply when it is in this Option Set! This won’t affect its normal price.
- Tax: Select applicable tax
6. Hit the plus icon on the right to add this Option to your Option Set.
Once Options are successfully added to the Option Set, this is what you will see:
7. For more settings, select the Rules tab (see image below)
8. You will be redirected to the Rules page. Fill in the following fields:
- Minimum Selection: Your staff will be required to select a minimum number of options - Perfect for mandatory questions.
- Maximum Selection: This will give a limit to how many options your staff can select for this Option Set
- Show Option Prefixes (No, Extra, Side, Only): Set to Yes if you want these additional instructions to show along with the Options you set. This is extra useful in relaying instructions to the kitchen about an order. (see image below)
The changes will auto-save
Now that we’ve made our Option Sets, we can link these to our products or Modifiers
9. Select the Link to Products tab at the top of the Option Sets page. (see image below)
10. Use the search bar to search for the products you are going to be linking your Option Set to - this will recognise either the product name, any product tags or, the category.
You will then see the following fields beside the product:
- Linked Option Sets: Input the name of the Option Set here. (e.g. 3 Pizza Toppings).
- Auto-Prompt on POS: This can be set to Yes so that it shows up automatically on the POS or, you can set it to No if it is optional - perfect for modifying ingredients, but not on every order.
Pro Tip - Non-prompted Option Sets (those not set to Auto-Prompt on POS) can be found on the edit screen of each product. This edit screen can be accessed by selecting the product from the order summary (left-most panel) on POS.
Note - You can link or remove multiple option sets to multiple products by using Bulk Options (see image above)
Reorder / Rearrange Options and Option Sets
You can link multiple Option Sets to a product - then, you can re-order these Option Sets to be in the best order. You can also arrange the options in each set.
Reorder Option Sets
If you did not put a number before the name of your Option Set (e.g. 1 Pizza Base, 2 Pizza Sauce), this is how you establish a preferred sequence.
1. From the Option Set page in the Kounta Back Office, select the product name where the Option Set is linked.
2. This will show the Option Sets under the product. Simply drag and drop them into the desired order
Reorder Options under Option Sets
If you did not put a number before the name of your Options (e.g. 1 Cheese, 2 Oregano), this is how you establish a preferred sequence.
1. From the Option Set page in the Kounta Back Office, select the product name where the Option Set is linked
2. Select Create
3. Select the Option Set that has the Options you want to reorder
4. This will show the Options under that Option Set. Simply drag and drop them into the desired order
Add Options to an order
1. From the Kounta POS, place your order as normal
2. Immediately, it will show your set of options (if the auto-prompt is enabled in Setup). As you select more options, it will update on the order summary:
3. Select Save
4. You’ll be redirected to the home screen and the order will look like this
Remove Options from an order
You can remove options that you’ve attached to a product while taking the order. Here’s how:
1. At Kounta Point-of-Sale, select the product initials or image from the order list
2. It will take you to the editing page
3. Select Options
4. You will be taken to the Options page, select the X beside the Modifiers to remove them
6. Select Save when you’re done
Frequently Asked Questions
Option Sets and Modifiers - are they the same thing?
Option Sets and Modifiers are separate features on Kounta. However, Option Sets can be used to group together menu Modifiers.
Option Sets and Variants - are they the same thing?
Option Sets and Variants both appear after the product is selected at the Kounta POS.
However, variants are products in and of themselves. Meanwhile, Option Sets can be alterations to a product or additional products.
How do I reorder Option Sets on the POS
You can reorder Option Sets or the Options they hold. Unlike Variants and Modifiers though, this is done in the Back Office.
Can I add my Option Sets in bulk?
At the moment, Option Sets can only be added one at a time.
I am not seeing the Option Sets Tab - How do I enable it?
1. If you haven’t already enabled Option Sets, go to the Option Sets addon page
2. Select Enable Option Sets
What's my next step?
Maximize the full power of Kounta menu tools!
Do you need to setup Option Sets for Combo Deals? We made a guide for that so you can easily create and customise your own deals.
Make sure customers get exactly what they ordered. Record item changes, such as no salad or extra bacon, in just a few taps using Product Modifiers.
If you sell a product in different sizes, flavours or with any other variable attribute, check out Product Variants - this will allow you to sell as many product variations as you need - all in a neat and tidy menu.
Need flexibility in entering quantities and prices at the POS - like when selling by the ounce or kilo? Now you can set specific products to automatically ask staff to enter a quantity or price using Variable Quantities and Prices.
Need to add product description, tags, barcodes, and the like? Check out advanced product settings!