Empower your staff by easily setting up predefined price adjustments that they can choose when making a sale.
There are various ways to set up discounts, surcharges, and promotions on Kounta.
For automatic discounts/surcharges based on time like a happy hour special or a public holiday surcharge, check out Price Lists. For automatic discounts/promotions like buy one, get one free, check out Automatic Promotions.
For price adjustments like a credit card surcharge, VIP discounts, and Senior Citizen discounts - which are not based on seasonality or bundle deals - Read on...
This guide covers how to set up predefined price adjustments and view the price adjustments report.
What's in this guide?
Enable the Adjustments Add-on
The first step is to enable the Adjustment add-on.
2. Enable this Add-on by selecting the orange Enable Adjustments button
Set up Adjustments
1. From Company settings in the back office, select Adjustments
2. Select Add a New Adjustment
3. You will see this dialogue box. Fill in the following details:
- Adjustment Reason - This is the name that the staff will see on the Point of Sale.
- Adjustment ($/%) - This is where you put the amount of the discount or surcharge, which can be expressed in dollar or percent. To make a value into a discount, use the (-) sign. To make it into a surcharge, use the (+) sign.
- Requires Discount Permission - Tick this box if you want to restrict the permission to staff who have this POS permission.
4. Select Add Adjustment
Set up prompt based on Payment Type
If you need to prompt your staff to select a price adjustment for particular payment types (such as in the case of credit card surcharges), here’s how:
1. From Company settings in the back office, select Payment Types
2. You will see your list of payment types. Tick the Prompt for Adjustment for the payment types you need the prompt for - this makes the adjustment available on the Point of Sale once the corresponding payment type is selected.
3. Select Save All
On the Point of Sale, this prompt will appear after the payment type is selected at Check Out.
You can apply price adjustments to specific products or to the entire order.
1. On the Point of Sale, select the items you want to add to the order as per normal
2. To apply a price adjustment to specific products only, select the item to which you will apply the adjustment
3. Select Add Adjustment then select which price adjustment you need
4. Select Apply Changes
5. On the Order Summary, the discount will be indicated right under the product
6. If you will adjust the price of the entire order, go back to Step 2, and instead of selecting a specific product, select the order total. Go through Step 3 to 6 the same way.
Once the price adjustment is applied to the whole order, it will appear above the order total.
See Adjustments Report
Reports such as sales, tips, money in/out, payments, and of course, adjustments allow you to have full visibility on the data for end-of-day takings.
There are two reports you can use to review Adjustments:
This shows a breakdown of how many times price adjustments are used, what products they are used with, and the total adjustment amount.
1. From Reports in back office, select Reconciliation
2. Select Adjustments
This shows you the discount amount given by each employee.
1. From Reports in back office, select Audit
2. Select the drop-down menu on the upper right of the screen
3. Select Discount then select Filter
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I set up automatic discounts and surcharges?
When you need to set up price adjustments that automatically apply, there are a couple of ways to do so:
- Happy hour special or a public holiday surcharge - For these automatic discounts/surcharges based on time, check out Price Lists.
- Buy one get one free or combo meal deals - For these automatic discounts/promotions based on purchase conditions, check out Automatic Promotions.
Can I limit the access to price adjustments to certain staff members only?
You have full control over who can apply price adjustments. First, set up the adjustment to require permission. Then, you simply need to configure staff permission to choose which staff members will be able to give discounts.
Can I edit a price adjustment after the order is checked out?
After an order is checked out, it is no longer editable. Every now and then, mistakes happen. You’ll just need to first refund the sale then process the order correctly. This will make sure that everything checks out when you reconcile your end of day takings.
Can I enable my staff to create one-off discounts?
Yes, you can. From the POS, staff who have the permission to Apply Discounts can create a custom discount:
1. From the POS, select the cog beside Check Out
2. Select Discount and then enter the amount (e.g. -5%)
What if I get stuck?
What's my next step?
Are you looking to set up credit card and debit card payments? Kounta can integrate with various EFTPOS systems, which translates to faster (and more accurate) transactions with less mistakes when keying in orders.