Lightspeed has been designed from the ground up with scalability and flexibility in mind.
As your business grows, you will have the freedom to add registers, sites, and even companies as needed.
One account can access multiple companies, sites or, registers - each with their specific settings.
What’s in this guide?
Overview: Lightspeed account, company, site, register
Lightspeed account - Someone has to pay the bills, right?
The account holder is the master admin and responsible for all companies & sites they own. At the account level you can manage:
- Profile information ie contact details
- Billing Information (Pay your subscription & check invoices)
- Manage subscriptions across all your sites
A Company - can have multiple sites or just one. Each company’s sites share the same:
- Currency & Tax types
- Master list of products
- Master list of people (Staff, Suppliers, & Customer lists)
- Reports (Report on the performance of all your sites together)
- Promotions (Create a promotion to run across any or all of your sites)
A Site - has its own Lightspeed Subscription/Plan and for each site you have separate:
- Site Owners (only if you want) - perfect for franchise groups in particular
- Subscriptions (Billed per site)
- Inventory Management - eg. Stocktakes and, Purchase Orders
- Site-specific register layouts and settings
- Add-ons & Integrations (eg. connect each site to a separate account for your accountant)
- Production printer settings
A Register - is simply where you are placing the orders from your customers - either fixed to the counter or floating on the floor for table service. Each register can have its own:
- Register specific workflow (eg. table ordering vs take-away ordering)
- Register specific printing (Advanced workflows)
The company can have multiple sites or just one - they all share the same central product list, currency type, tax codes and, contacts.
1. On your Lightspeed Back Office, select the tile on the lower left showing your site name.
2. You will then see a menu. Select the name of your site again.
3. You will be lead to a page showing all your sites under their respective companies. At the bottom of the screen, select Manage Companies
4. You will be taken to a page containing the other companies that you've set up. Select Create a New Company
4. Key in your company details and select Save
The site, has one subscription for each location (or Lightspeed Plan); manage your inventory, integrations & add-ons, site specific pricing, production & printing settings, for each site separately - you can have one or more registers per site.
1. Just like in adding companies, from your Lightspeed Back Office, select the tile on the lower left showing your site name.
2. You will then see a menu. Select the name of your site again.
3. You will be lead to a page showing all your sites under their respective companies. At the bottom of the screen, select Manage Sites
4. Next, select Create a Site
5. A dialogue box will appear. Select a name for your site and assign it to a Company. Then, select Create.
The register can be thought of as reassignable slots within each Lightspeed Plan ,by which devices can access the POS. This is where the sales happen!
1. Head over to the Devices page in the Lightspeed Back Office under the Sites tab
2. Select Create a New Register
3. Provide a name for your new register
4. Select Create
Frequently Asked Questions
How many registers can I add?
Keep in mind that each register is re-assignable or recyclable slot, but can only be accessed by one device at a time.
Check your Lightspeed plan to know the number of registers (slots) you can create to operate the POS (Point-of-Sales) simultaneously.
What devices can I use as registers?
Lightspeed can run on a wide selection of devices:
- Mobile devices - iOS or Android
- Desktops - PC/ Mac
- Commbank Albert (EFTPOS) tablet
I want to change devices- can I reassign the register?
Yes, you can! This process is also known as recycling registers. Depending on your Lightspeed plan there would be a corresponding maximum number of slots for devices to be registers or POS devices.
Note - You don’t need to assign the devices as a register to access the Back Office.If you need to reassign a register, follow this guide.
Is there a maximum number of staff members I can add?
You can add as many staff members as needed. Follow this guide on how to add more users to your Lightspeed account.
How do I add more users (staff) to work my registers?
Anyone who uses Lightspeed is considered a user. Inviting users (staff) separately gives the advantage of separate performance reports. Attendance reports can also be generated if it is included in the Lightspeed plan you have. Follow this guide on how to add more users to your Lightspeed account.
Do I need to pay for more registers?
The number of devices you can assign as registers or POS devices depends on your Lightspeed Plan.
Do I create a new account for each site?
You don’t have to. You can enjoy multi-site control from the convenience of one Lightspeed account. Within this guide, you’ll find a section on how to add sites.
Do I need to pay for more sites?
One Lightspeed plan corresponds to one site. This is done so that each site can have its own Back Office and Point of Sales - therefore separate settings and reportings.
Do I need to pay for more companies?
The Lightspeed Plan is subscribed per site, not per company.
For example, if you have two stores (sites) and you are opening a third, but this third one is under a different company (separate products, contacts, etc.) - you will get another Plan for the third site, not just because it is in another company.
Do I create a new account for each company?
Enjoy Multi Company (Brand) Management with Lightspeed. To date, we are the only POS Technology Platform to give the capability to manage multiple brands under one seamless interface. Within this guide, you’ll find a section on how to add companies.
Can I transfer ownership of my Lightspeed account?
What's my next step?
- Have you added in your products yet? You can add products quickly and easily from the Lightspeed Back Office.
- Do you already have all the hardware you need for your system? Let’s talk about what hardware you can connect to your very own Lightspeed system.
- Did you know that you can change the layout of your POS? Customising your POS layout will help your staff and/or customers to navigate through your menu with greater ease. Give it a try!