The POS + Payments All-in-One Solution to run and manage your business.
Payments are automatically pushed to the payment terminal and back, ensuring every purchase amount is correctly displayed, paid and recorded inside the POS, reducing double handling, risk of errors and administration.
- Contactless - Let guests tap their cards and mobile devices to pay
- Safe and secure - End-to-end encryption and built-in PCI compliance.
- 24/7 Support - We’ve always got your back with one support team for POS and Payments.
What's In This Guide?
- Setting up Lightspeed Payments | 3 minutes
- Unpairing a Payment Terminal from your POS | 1 minute
- Processing payments | 2 minutes
- Enabling tipping on terminal | 5 minutes
- What's next?
Before you begin
- You also will need to download the latest version of the Lightspeed POS App on all your iPads. Please note, at this point in time, Lightspeed Payments is only compatible with Apple iPads.
- Unbox the terminals and ensure they have power if they are battery-operated such as the V400, e280 or e285.
- Connect your terminals to your Wifi and ensure they are connected to the same Wifi network that your Lightspeed POS terminals are connected to.
Note: We recommend that 15 minutes pass before attempting to pair a terminal to a register after connecting the terminal to Wifi.
Navigating your Lightspeed Payment Terminal
Accessing the Admin Menu
The admin PIN is 5773.
You'll need the Admin menu on the terminal for various tasks. To open the Admin menu:
- Select 1 and then the Confirm key.
As seen on the P400 plus and v400m
As seen on the e280 and e285
Accessing the Device info
- Select 5 and then the Confirm key.
A screen similar to the one shown here appears with the following:
- Model, serial number, and IP address of the terminal.
- Software version and configuration version that the terminal currently uses.
- Merchant account and store that the terminal belongs to.
Set up Lightspeed Payments
Enable Lightspeed Payments
- Go to Back Office, select Integrations.
- Find and select Lightspeed Payments.
- Once opened click 'Enable'.
Connect terminal to Wifi
- On the terminal display, select Configure network.
- Select Wi-Fi.
- Turn on the Wi-Fi toggle switch.
- Select the + icon to add a network. The terminal scans for Wi-Fi networks.
- Choose the desired network from the list and enter the Wi-Fi password, or select Add manually and enter the name (SSID) of the Wi-Fi network and the Wi-Fi password.
- Select the check mark to confirm.
The terminal sets the network as default automatically, and connects to it.
You'll now see a Wi-Fi icon at the top of the display.
Board the terminal
1. Hit Board terminal
This will take roughly 10 minutes to board and restart the terminal.
Pair the payment terminal with POS
- Go to POS on any register that you wish to connect to a Lightspeed Payment terminal.
Select ‘Lightspeed Payments’ on the left side bar menu.
- You will be see a window showing all the terminals associated to your account.
Find the terminal that you want to pair to this register, based on the Serial Number and/or Model of the terminal.
The serial numbers can be found on the back of certain terminals or can be found in the the device by selecting the number 5 and then pressing the green Enter button.
Once found select Pair terminal
- Wait for POS to pair to your Payment Terminal
- You're done! Selecting Lightspeed Payments at your next transaction will send the payment to that terminal.
Once your terminals are set up, we recommend processing a payment immediately. See instructions Process payment on POS here.
Why? Your first payout can take up to 5 business days.
Process a nominal amount e.g. $1 payment immediately, to kick start the payout process. Once cleared, Once cleared, you will receive your payments the next business day. For more detailed information on getting paid, check out our Support Guide: Getting Paid
Unpairing a Payment Terminal from your POS
If you wish to make your Lightspeed Payments terminal available for another register - simply go to the Lightspeed Payments option in the POS menu.
Select 'Unpair' on the terminal paired to your device.
Process payment on POS
Set up Fast Checkout
1. Go to My Site > Site Information
2. Under Site Payment options, choose Lightspeed Payments
Check out with Fast Checkout
1. After entering an order, select the Fast Payments button on POS (the lightning bolt)
2. On the terminal, tap, swipe or insert the customer's card
3. Confirm the payment was successful
Set up Tipping
Enabling tipping on terminal
- After you enable Lightspeed Payments you will be able to access the Settings page
- Scroll down till you see Terminal features
- Enable Tipping
Process a Tip
- Make sure you have enabled Tipping on the terminal first
- Select the Fast Payments button on POS (the lightning bolt)
- Customers will be presented with the option of 5%, 10%, 15%, a custom amount, or to skip
Transaction and Settlement Reports for payments
Please note that transaction and settlement data takes 24 hours to process and will only appear after this time.
Your Transactions Summary shows your transaction amount within a specified timeframe and displays trends over time.
Your Settlement Summary shows an overview of your net deposit over a nominated time period and understand the associated fees.
|Created time||This is when the payment was processed on POS with the customer.|
|Transaction Status||A transaction status can be success, pending, declined, failed, unknown or other.|
|Settlement Status||A settlement status can be paid, pending, in-transit, failed, cancelled or unknown.|
|Net Amount||This is the amount that you receive as the merchant after fees are taken.|
|Transaction Fee||This is the amount that we, Lightspeed, are charging for that transaction.|
|Amount||This is the combined total of the amount charged to a customer plus the transaction fee.|
|Last 4 digits||This is the last 4 digits of the card used by the customer.|
|Transaction type||A transaction type can be a sale, refund, chargeback or void.|
Monthly Merchant Statement
On the 2nd of every month, the billing owner will receive the Lightspeed Payments Monthly Merchant Statement. All this data is available at any time in Insights.
Ready to set up surcharging? Follow the steps in the Lightspeed Payments - Surcharging guide.
Get an overview of the process so you can better understand when to expect your funds, check out our Getting Paid guide.
Frequently Asked Questions about payments
If I have a problem, how do I reach Support?
Select the '?' in the bottom left corner anywhere in Lightspeed POS or Back Office, select 'Talk to the support team'.
Then select 'Payments', and you'll be connected with a payments expert.
Where is Lightspeed Payments available?
Currently, Lightspeed Payments is only available in Australia.
How do I see how much is being deposited in my account?
Jump into Lightspeed Insights, select Lightspeed Payments, then Settlement Summary.
Can I pair multiple Lightspeed Payment terminals to one POS register?
Currently, one register cannot have more than one terminal paired. However, several registers can be paired to one terminal.
Can Lightspeed Payments be linked to a Tyro bank account?
No. Only Tyro products can be linked to a Tyro bank account.
What is the transaction fee for each card type?
The fee is static for the majority of credit cards at the rate you were quoted. American Express is set at 2.5%.
Can I restrict certain card types, e.g. Amex?
Yes. To prevent customers from paying with certain card schemes, please reach out to Support with your request and your terminal ID.
Where can I find the user manuals for my terminal?
For questions on how to use Ayden terminals, please refer to the terminal user manuals available on Ayden's website.